The Ability to Grow

I have learned a lot about myself and about others the last couple of months.  I have learned those who I thought were the strongest, have the same insecurities as I do.  I learned that if someone is meant to be in your life, they will always manifest themselves in some way.  I've learned that sometimes it is better to just let someone go their own way, even if that way is away from you, so that the next person can come into your life.

Last month I had the opportunity to spend a weekend in Vegas with one of my very special girlfriends.  The weekend did not go as planned.  I am officially far to old for Vegas, and my struggle with social anxiety manifested itself in a huge way,  but a lot came out of the weekend in hindsight.  I know that my friend will always be there for me, and that I will always be there for her.  I do not have to worry that after 20 some odd years of friendship she will decide I am a bad friend, and decide that she doesn't want to be in my life anymore.  I know that our friendship will stand the test of time and will be worth any fight that we may have to go through (although I don't anticipate that ever happening).  This was a hard lesson learned.  There were a lot of tears and laughs shared that weekend, but I think that we all came out of the weekend with new insight in what what we wanted and who we wanted to be.  Sometimes it takes a really crappy weekend in Vegas to gain insight.

On the converse, this last weekend our best friends came out from Rockwall, TX.  to spend the week with us. We learned all about their new  Crossfit and Paleo lifestyle.  The two of them have lost a combined total of over 70 lbs, and they are amazingly fit.  We adhered to their diet for most of the time that they were in town and found that we had more energy (except for when you add Vodka, kinda kills the health benefits), we felt better, and even thought it was only one week, we looked better.  So we have decided to adopt the Paleo diet as much as possible, and we have a Crossfit consultation on the 29th.  Thank you Christina and Ryan Lee for the awesome inspiration.

The key to my personal happiness lately has been in understanding myself better.  The more time that I spend in social situations, the more I realize that I have to work to be comfortable within my own skin.  I am trying to build up myself so that I can be a better friend to others.  This is taking time, but I feel that it is the only way I will overcome my social anxiety, and move on to reach my goals.  I would love to join a lecture circuit upon completion of my dissertation, but I feel that my anxiety will get in the way of that if I do not learn to control it.

The only option for me right now is to open myself up for new experiences, and abandon the thought that someone will hurt or desert me.  If I don't fit in, or someone doesn't like me, or thinks I am a "bad friend", oh well.  I have my family, I have beautiful friends like my Heather's, and Christina and Ryan, and that is really what life is about.

for more information on the Paleo diet I recommend:
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/
http://paleomg.com/

Namaste to you all my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through it All

Construction Zone

phD Kick in the Rear