The Cost of Exhaustion

I am writing.....and I am reading......and I am writing...... and after an hour I have a pretty decent idea that I am totally lost on what direction I am taking this dissertation.  I am sure my story is fairly common in this dissertation process, but I am tired, I am frustrated and I am procrastinating.  I have set this insane goal of writing 5-10 pages a night, forgetting that I have 2-3 hours between the time I get home and the time I go to bed.  I have managed to write out a table of contents for Chapter 1, in which I have identified that I have at least 5-6 more topics to develop, and then I launch into Chapter 2..........and so far I have a  3 page table of contents, and I am half way done with identifying what I need to write for chapter 2.........sigh.....and more sigh.

But of course as always the writing process, however important as it might seem, has taken a back seat to the planning of a Spiderman birthday party, dealing with a petty jerk at work who thinks that EVERYTHING is better in New York and is causing havoc on my workplace sparkle, and a very stressful (to me) trip to Japan. There are times when I wonder why I would have taken on such a daunting task of adding a couple of letters to the beginning of my name. Then reality sets in...how cool is it going to be when I am called Dr. Brown, making low management salary as a supervisor.

If my tone sounds a bit negative, it may be because I am feeling the frustration of this doctoral process. Never fear, I am told this is a rite of passage.  Parenting a three year old may be adding a little bit of frustration, as well as the stress of the birthday/holiday season that is impending.

How do you eat an elephant? I don't know.....I wouldn't want to eat an elephant, who would do such a thing anyway?  I just want to take a personal break far away from everything and sit in silence for 24-48 hours.  Maybe that will be my treat to myself after this madness is complete. 

Thank you for enduring my rant, now back to your regularly scheduled program.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through it All

Construction Zone

phD Kick in the Rear