Why I Keep up With my LinkedIn Page

I have a new job, which I came to through LinkedIn.  This is actually the fourth time I have been recruited from LinkedIn.  With this new job there is the perception that I would fall of the LinkedIn radar but this would have been a mistake. Below are five reasons why, even when you are happy in your current position, you should keep up with your LinkedIn presence:

1. You can never have too many relevant connectionsA network is an organic process that requires upkeep.  In my opinion you should always prune your network, keeping contacts relevant and pertinent to your industry or interests.  This may mean that you have many connections across multiple backgrounds, but they should be people who interest you.  Every connection brings something to your knowledge bank.  If you have connections that are not active in your journey, you should consider engaging them, or moving them to the back of your network.

2. You need to give as much as your receive (AKA. It isn't all about you!): Networking is as much about keeping yourself involved in others lives and endeavors as it is about you tapping into your resources during times of need or transition.  I always view connections posts to see if I can help them to fill a need, or if I can connect them with someone who can.  You will only create trust within your network if you help them out as much as they help you.  I feel that to be relevant in your field you must be sensitive to the relevancy of others.  This is commonly done through connecting your network to jobs, interests or people that may help them along their journey.

3.  It's not all about the job search: I am happy with my current job and I am not searching for a job opportunity, however I am open to speaking and writing opportunities that do not conflict with my full time employment.  LinkedIn offers many opportunities to produce whitepapers and connect with those who are currently presenting and speaking in your industry.  Working full time does not stop me from pursuing side endeavors that I am passionate about.

4. Establish yourself as an industry expert: I hope that I have found my career home, but that does not mean that I do not want to be considered a career expert.  Having expertise in your industry makes you more valuable, both to the industry and to your organization.  I spend a lot of time on LinkedIn reading posts from industry leaders, trade publications and even articles not related directly to my industry.  The more you know, the more you grow!

5. The opportunity to Mentor: I have not yet taken advantage of the mentorship program within LinkedIn, but I am developing a workshop for emerging college students entering the workforce.  I will likely use the LinkedIn platform to present this workshop as well as other relevant publications which I hope will lead to mentorship opportunities.

So you see I consider LinkedIn to be more than just a job search board, I see it as a way to connect with a dynamic professional network that allows opportunities for personal, academic and career growth.

Talk with you all next week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through it All

Construction Zone

phD Kick in the Rear