Don't Fall off a Cliff...........JUMP!

The last couple of weeks have been a challenge to say the least.  Many don't know that I have a husband who is wonderful (ok everyone knows that part) who battles with depression.  Many also do not know that I have an issue with empathy.  What my husband feels, I also feel.  If you have not yet heard, depression can be contagious, and I know this feeling all too well.  The last few weeks have been particularly bad, but we are on the mend. The main symptoms for me during these times is exhaustion, a lack of focus and a deep sadness that I cannot fix the situation.  During these times I have little motivation and a whole lot of excuses.

This time I felt it necessary to take a leave of absence for school so that I could once again begin the search for a new chair.  This process was daunting the first time and left me nervous and apprehensive.

I procrastinated the first week.  I told myself that taking care of my family was a priority and that I could wait for one more week. Granted I only took 4 weeks off so the clock is ticking. After "normal" routines were back in place I took a deep breath and became very vulnerable.  I crafted a letter that explained my dissertation and chair situation, how I had been failed by my previous chair and the current status of my proposal (dismal).  I then carefully researched 50 potential chair candidates and I exposed myself to ALL 50 OF THEM (sent them the letter, not literally exposed myself).

Some misread the message thinking that I was not heading the advice of my former chair (there was no advice to head, my only advice came from a committee member, who I am eternally grateful for), some sympathized with my story but could offer no help but most surprisingly several Dr.'s were interested in my study and interested in helping me! What a relief, but now I have a new dilemma of choosing the right fit for not only my topic, but the state of my dissertation.  As mentioned it needs considerable work and I feel as if I may need a strong hand to guide me.

From that little step of faith, a lot of prayer and a little courage, I now have 3 people who would like to chair me and now I have a decision to make.  With luck I will pick the correct chair, one who will challenge me and make my proposal committee ready.  With any luck in 3 months I will have submitted to the appropriate boards and I will have confidence in my proposal and a new energy and desire to begin data collection.

Courage has been a common theme for 2016 so far.  Courage to open myself up to community, courage to accept criticism and not take it personally and courage to have tough conversations that I would normally avoid at all cost. The fact is, without courage and risk there is no progression.  I don't want to stand in the same tepid pool while the larva begin to mount around me.....I'd rather cliff-dive into the unknown and enjoy the view all the way down!

Love you guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through it All

Construction Zone

phD Kick in the Rear