Momma's- Celebrate the Small Wins

My four year old has a diet that has consisted primarily of cheese cheese sandwiches (cold not grilled), fruit and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  I could not get him to eat anything else.  I struggled with getting protein into this child and it was starting to make me question my motherhood. Yes I realize I'm being a little dramatic.  After reflecting some I realized that I was making a special dinner for this child because I allowed him to "pick his poison".  I decided I had had enough of making separate meals and told this mini dictator that I he was eating what mommy ate.  Low and behold, he ate dinner, didn't go to bed hungry and I felt like parent of the year because he ate grilled chicken and green beans instead of mac and cheese.

Success!!! Everyone defines it differently.  I have long been one of those who only felt accomplished when big ticket successes were achieved, but lately I have been finding joy in the small wins. Child sleeps in his own bed-WIN.  I work out int he morning 4 days in a week- WIN. I allow myself to be vulnerable with someone (even if it backfires)-WIN.  I go an entire week without stressing about steaming my carpets- WIN WIN WIN!!!  These little things are becoming so important and are a basis for allowing myself grace when I fail.  Overall success is a culmination of the little wins in life. When you add them all up and take a look back, you will see that every big success was the result of a bunch of small wins and losses.

This is helpful as I go through this dissertation process.  I have spent 8 weeks on 20 pages.  I have written 76 pages total but I have only gotten to the 20 in revision these past 2 months.  This was so frustrating to me, but I have to break it down into the small wins.  At the beginning of these 2 months I had a MESS of a chapter one. Nothing aligned and I basically had 76 pages of rubbish.  But through 8 weeks of paragraph by paragraph re-writes, I have 20 pages that are worth a little something.  Granted this isn't even all of Chapter One, but these small wins mean progress. Even though it is't the BIG WIN I was hoping for.

Small wins make all of the difference.  Overcoming embarrassing situations,  Giving yourself grace with a parenting fail or even forgiving yourself for not making a goal deadline, all of these small wins add up to huge discoveries and are the building blocks to greatness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through it All

Construction Zone

phD Kick in the Rear