Connection Point

As someone who struggles with social anxiety, it is easy to feel disconnected.  I have reached a point earlier this week when I felt disconnected at work, within my church, with my friends, and even at home.  Part of this may indeed be due to exhaustion and those pesky expectations that I mentioned in a previous post, but some of it is indeed that I was not connected to myself.

I recently received a link that I will share from a friend of mine named Lisa Ross.  I was looking for a way to disconnect to the busyness of life and connect, even for 10 brief minutes, with myself.  I was successful in meditation for one day....and then life took over again.  I allowed myself to take things personally and I forgot my goal...to connect with myself.  Other people have busy lives as well, and their lack of connection has nothing to do with me at all.  There are times when I forget to reach out to others, even when I know they are in need, because I have so much going on in my own life.  In the past I have been called ungrateful, and selfish for this.  I have made peace with the fact that I cannot be everything to everyone, and that my responsibility is first to myself, second my family, and then I can concentrate on those friends. 

Connection is an obsession in this society.  We are connected electronically at every moment of the day, yet I know in my case I feel less connected than ever.  I think we trade meaningful relationships for superficial, electronic relationships because they are safe.  If someone hurts our feelings on a social media page or through a text message, we can just delete them.  You cannot disconnect a physical connection. 

I wish for more meaningful connections in my life.  It is something that I am diligently working on.  I am opening myself up to new people, and closing off those connections who view me as negative, or selfish. Those connections obviously do not know my heart, or understand my current station in life.

Be kind and nice to each other, and try to walk in each others shoes.  Open yourself up to new connections, that are not electronically based.  If I can do it, anyone can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through it All

Construction Zone

phD Kick in the Rear